Monday, 11 April 2011

The City



Do I live in the city


Or does the city live in me


When I was waiting outside


I wanted to be a figure within


Eyes stretch to devour


A horizon of wishes


Each the star of a jewel


To freeze my eyes afraid to blink


But now I halt


Before I can see the soft distance


For the city steps out


Running circles around my attention


To wave its wares for me to taste


Now I can feel my body object


Have I had too much


Or maybe not enough


Do I feed the city


Its wires enter my skin


To drink me weary


The bell sprung gate ahead


With its title in upper case


Is it me it needs to keep it swinging


The words on the next say yes


The city is breaking


Another road drill


Zig-zagging the air tight around me


Abrasion hangs in my mouth


And towers form in my ears


That make the air screech


From the concrete growing pains


My limbs jar against walls


As I try to unwind


Freewill a web to tangle my fingers and teeth


Locked into the city


A faceted dome


A choice on every wall


I turn to hear everyone


And buy so many none can grow


Start building one more


Before the floor has set


Screens for eyes


Tired of the repeats they see


Give me a space for reaction


No time for reaction


All the clocks in the city


Hold a different opinion


And when can I go home.



2010



No comments:

Post a Comment