Monday, 21 November 2011

11-11-11

How come we walked through
From the back
Indoors the gravely square
When guards stood at the gate.
Away from the crowds
Who light torches to how great it is.
The peachy reverberations in the sky
Footsteps crunchy, slowed down
Like in a film when the extras
Have all gone home.
And night never gets
As dark as your hair.
We walk in contradiction
To buildings who've made
Decisions for hundreds of years
For so long they've forgotten
Their reasons why.
Stand strong, no clues
For angels who carry crossed out crusades.
And the London Lion's handsome stone.
The roar we heard was a train
Engines moving people on
When it was good that day
To just stand with you
Over fairy light reflections
In the murky old river.
And drift around
Even though we were too late
For the Waterloo Sunset
That was 1967
And the English
Wave death like a flag
And I do
And it cuts the conversation short.
I think you know, I don't know
I really should have
Said I'm lost
Always looking for somewhere
To see
But nothing too bright.
And now it's next week
And I forgot to say
Something like skylight followed me home
Not statues cast for good as soldiers.

2011


No comments:

Post a Comment